Thursday, May 24, 2012

Taking A Moment To Smile

"Good Morning!" I smiled broadly at the teenage girl taking my money at the McDonald's drive-thru window. She glanced briefly at me and said "good morning" without a trace of emotion. I kept smiling. "Is it?" I asked her. "Is it a good morning for you?" Finally she smiled and turned to look at me. "Yes. It's ok." Her countenance had brightened a little as she realized that I truly cared about her feelings. I suppose she is use to people passing by her window without a thought for her. Some speak to her, but then pass on quickly. She must see no reason to put forth any effort in engaging in any sort of exchange with them. Like a little robot she tells them what they owe, they pay her, and she says, "Have a good day." In her head she's thinking, "This is a recording."


I had her attention now, and I decided that with no one in line behind me I would try to let her know she meant something to me.


"It's a beautiful day, and you have a great place at your job to enjoy it by standing here at your window. Have you been busy this morning?"


Her smile continued as she began to tell me that she had been busy and that she really enjoyed her job, that she worked with a lot of nice people. Our conversation was less than a minute, and then I moved on.


"I sure hope you enjoy your day." I quipped. "See ya later." And off I drove.


As I headed down the road to meet with some friends I had a smile in my heart. It wasn't much, no big deal, but because I took the time to stop for less than one minute this young lady has reminded herself that she likes her job, she has something to smile about, she has good friends at work, and someone stopped to say "Hi" to her. I imagine it was just a little break in her monotonous morning. But, with the nudge of the Holy Spirit, I started it. That really felt good.


The overwhelming gratefulness that washed over me was so fulfilling. So often I lament the fact of being too old and too infirm; too old and too infirm to get a job. I am in the Social Security days of my life. I've been out there in the work force, but it's now time to sit back, and I wish I could go back. But today I realize that if I were working 8 to 5 again I wouldn't be out here spending time with friends, time to lead a Bible Study for those who haven't heard His Word and are so much less fortunate than I, to blog the stories of my childhood for my grandchildren, or to stop and say hello and give a smile to a teenage girl who needs a lift. No matter where I am in my life I have much to do for the glory of Christ. Right up until my very last breath I will honor Him with my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment