Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Don't Quit

A few weeks ago a friend and I were discussing, or should I say lamenting, how our advanced age and physical shortcomings have taken its toll, and that we no longer have the physical abilities and strength to serve in the church as we have in the past. She and I both like working with kids and helping with activities. It's easy to pull away and do nothing, perhaps wallowing in your resentment or afraid to try anything. The conversation went something like this:

My friend: Yes, well at our age it's more difficult to do all these things. I do what I can and leave the rest to the younger ones.
Me: There are still things that you and I can do. We can always pray and be diligent to let others know we care. We can encourage them, the young and the older, with words of love and support. If we listen carefully, God will still give us work to do.

She agreed, and we prayed about that very thing right there.

Later, when the pastor had finished his message, everyone began to file out, and I stayed seated, waiting for the clear path. I felt an arm around my shoulders and looked around to see our pastor's wife. I  make handmade greeting cards, and she asked me to make some blank note cards for some middle east women she would be speaking to soon. I was thrilled. God was answering our prayer so quickly!

I went home and looked up the country of these women. I read of its history, its religions, its people. Then I looked at the images of the women that lived there, and I set their faces in my mind. And as I made each card, four to a pack for twenty women, making eighty beautiful blank cards, I prayed for these women, crying and seeing their faces in my mind, learning to love these beautiful people that I would never meet or know. While making small gifts for others, God had given me an enormous and wondrous gift, a love for mankind that live far from me, physically and culturally. But we share a love for the Father that has brought us together in love.

So, today I am celebrating, well, just acknowledging, my seventy-first birthday. Many are still very active and healthy at this age, running marathons, walking briskly through life, able to participate in so many outdoor activities with their grandchildren. I'm not one of them. I walk with a cane most of the time after having two knee replacements, one not turning out so well.  I've had some bad experiences with some surgeries and mistakes by doctors. But I'm exercising and doing as much as I can to stay active. I am not complaining. I see many each day that are far worse off than I am. I've had a good and active life, and so I am winding down a bit slower than some.

No matter where you are in life, you still have much to offer. The greatest thrill for me is to be able to help others with love, encouragement, wisdom, and as long as I can drive, I can help my friend get to the doctors. But, I will always remember to keep pushing and keep listening to my Lord for guidance. It would be great if I could give you that famous quote, "Don't quit." from Winston Churchill. But, in reality, Churchill never said that. He never made that speech that history has tried to attribute to him. But, he did say some very eloquent lines with which I will leave you.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Never, never, never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment