Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Christmas Gift


Oh bother. Christmas is taking over the masses and markets already, and my blood pressure rises. I love what Christmas represents, so I will acknowledge it in that way. But as for the presents, I have an idea that I'll share, though I know it's not for everyone. I still think it's a good idea. 

How about not buying the popular junk that will be hawked constantly for the next two months on all the television and radio stations. I like the idea of making something very special and personal as a gift. You may think you can't make anything, but there are hundreds of ideas that are wonderful gifts that even a beginner can make. Google can help. Research all over the web for crafty or food ideas. Ask your friends for their ideas. 

My favorite idea this year is for considering the economy and giving the adult families gift certificates to their favorite grocery or their favorite clothing store, department store, and a really good idea, their favorite gas station. Make your gifts practical and helpful, not something they'll use once and then store in some closet or the basement. 

You probably can't do this for the kids, but I really think we can be more practical for them as well. Consider that less is really better. I used to go way overboard with all the family. I was impractical and so wrong. I have always hated gift certificates, but now I believe it is the very best gift because there could be less waste. 

I also have scratched a lot of people off my gift list. Spending money on everybody I come in contact with is wasteful, and it only encourages them to waste their money buying me a small gift....that I'll never use. Give me a jar of homemade preserves instead. Now that's a nice gift! 

If you need ideas go to pinterest where you'll find hundreds of ideas. Last year I made homemade soaps and lotions for my family and put them in cheap mason jars with ribbons. These were wonderful gifts and very appreciated. Christmas can be so much more meaningful and happy if we fill it with personalized joy and not run our credit cards up so high it could take us until next Christmas to pay off. I want a more peaceful and Christ-centered holiday this year. I want to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus, read the Christmas story from Luke to the kids, and be able to breathe easy in January when the white sales start.

That will be my Christmas gift this year that I will cherish the most. God bless us, every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment