Friday, August 28, 2015

Anger Shouldn't Stop the Loving


My husband grew up in a home that today we would call "dysfunctional". What an innocuous word when you consider the depth of destructive behavior that occurred on regular basis! The children were given daily examples of bitter emotions acting out between husband and wife, but all the world saw was a jolly and sweet man with a strong and aloof woman. Inside the walls of their home was fear and distrust and deep pain. 

No matter the dysfunction that you may have grown up with, it doesn't have to carry over into our adult lives. We can choose to reject the bad patterns that we may have learned early and choose healthy behaviors instead. My husband made a decision that he would not behave in the ways of his family, but when he and I have disagreements and become angry we quickly forget our promises to one another. This is when we need the Holy Spirit to remind us to obey the Scriptures and lean on the Savior for help.

1 Corinthians 13 has the perfect instructions for treating, not only those we know and love, but everyone.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. 

God is Love. God is faithful. And God never fails. That's why we can trust Him with our failures and weaknesses for help. I pray for strength and help every day
to handle all my weaknesses. Sometimes I still fail. But my Savior is always there to lift me up and set me back on the right path. He takes good care of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment